Thursday 23 July 2020

WE MISS XFM

I am certain I am not the only person who misses X Fm. The twenty four hour rock station that soothed a lot of us through the ups and downs that is this life. It addressed all the things we loved and cherished. Then sometime last year it was decided that it would be shut down for more mundane options. What was not to love about X FM?

 Xfm Kenya Radio Stations: OnlineRadioBin.com

Ever since X FM changed their name and playlists to god knows what, I have been lost. I turn on the radio and I can’t listen to a single station for more than five minutes. There hundreds of stations but not one I can listen to. No smooth or indie/alternative or old school rock variety that makes sense. The uninterrupted hours of music that was ideal for study or work was a welcome touch.

Then quarter after laughter. I lived for the humour, especially in the evening after having a very long day. I liked the morning versions too, the fact that you could get a laugh before the grind was energizing. Speaking of mornings, The Rude Awakening and X FM breakfast were a refreshing take from the oversexed radio that was full of negative energy.  It was the station that put a spring in your step as you went to conquer the world.

I also miss connect four at four. This show helped me appreciate the deep knowledge Kenyans had about rock. It was also the perfect wind down music at the end of the day. That and the playlists at seven with amazing countdowns. Just some of the many gems that made X FM amazing.

Why was it shut down? What replaced it? A replica of classic FM, playing the very same music with absolutely no sense for market segmentation or variety. That is the most frustrating thing about Kenyan radio. It is all broken down into 3 broad segments

1.      The shady

Traditional/ vernacular stations that appeal to the “shagsmondo” and tribally inclined. I am not entirely against them because they do help propagate culture to future generations. However, they are also know to push for division and tribal conflict since they are largely unregulated. They have been known to spread hate speech especially during times of political turmoil.  I however do not give them the time of day because I can hardly speak an vernacular. ( shh, I can hear the judgment.)

Also here, are the Swahili stations that will carter to the rural and bottom tear markets. Remember, the bottom of the pyramid is the widest, and as much as Kenyans want to pretend, a lot of them are shady, that’s why a lot of trends appeal to that crowd. It is for this reason that Patanisho is one of the most popular shows on Radio. Before anyone says anything I am not raining on anyone’s parade. Your tests and preferences are your own.

 

 

2.      Old school

Leader of the pack here is/was classic FM. Then the annoying replica that now holds 105.5, and so many other that are only fun to listen to for nostalgias sake. I don’t really mind them. However  there is only so much of old  school music that can be entertaining without getting fatigued. I don’t enjoy these stations so I will not say much about them.

 

3.      Hype stations

Include Kiss, Capital, Homeboys and NRG and a host of other I haven’t been able to enjoy. They are dominated by more talk than music because of marketing goals. Capital has The Fuse, but that is too short a session for people used to 24 hour of beautiful rock music. Not throwing shade at anyone.

 

I only wish that X FM could be put back on air. I wish we, the listeners had an opportunity to guide programmer on what we wished to hear. It suck to be boxed in by both T.V. and radio. When X FM was that reprieve, the world was a much brighter place. That I  know for sure.

RIP to the best station on Kenyan airwaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

DID I?

Did I tell you How lovely you are? The glimmer In the smile you have, The shine it gives To this colourful world Did I tell you, Yo...