Sunday 31 March 2013

INTRODUCTIONS



We sat side by side
Formal introductions made
Small conversation spread
And cordial laughter to punctuate
The treatment offered to a guest
Meant to put his heart to rest

She went out with her mother
Allowing me time with her father
“She is too good for you”
His anxieties rose
“What does she see in you?”
His questions phrased
“I wish I knew “my eyebrows rose

The number of times I let her go,
The more adamant she was to stay,
Saying no would break her
Saying yes would break us
Then he’d break me if I hurt her
He watched me intently

Silence
His eyes bore at me
His rage tore at me
So I chose to leave
With a heavy heart albeit
And enough regret to hurt


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

DID I?

Did I tell you How lovely you are? The glimmer In the smile you have, The shine it gives To this colourful world Did I tell you, Yo...