Saturday 14 May 2016

LIES



My dear sister,
When you told me to visit you in the city,
You conveniently forgot to mention
How ‘safe’ it was…
That there would be friends who would
Kindly relieve me of my luggage.
That they would persuade with tender knuckles
And soft clubs if necessary
Sister, you forgot to mention
That there were many,
Who would help empty my pockets
When they felt rather full!!
Considering that they had few contents.

My dear sister,
Why did you not tell me,
That the ladies who claimed
To ‘love me’ when they were astraddle of me
And only in bed
Were out to ruin my heart,
That they shared their talents
With every man who cared,
That they wanted coin and bread.

My dear sister,
 When I came to the city,
Why did you not tell me
To learn mother tongue
And let university be,
For jobs were given on tribe
Not on skill or papers that had no meaning

Dear sister,
Now I know
I return to the village wiser
To help my people grow.
You sister can keep dressing
Like you danced with a leopard
And entertain the men you wish.
But if you find that witch that lied to me,
Tell her, her talents were useful
If you find the man I gifted my teeth
Tell him I have more money,
To share with him
And the boss that said I was too dark
Tell him I love basking the sun.
Dear sister, please take care.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

DID I?

Did I tell you How lovely you are? The glimmer In the smile you have, The shine it gives To this colourful world Did I tell you, Yo...